Family regrouping

A residence permit is granted for being a relative of a legal resident in Spain who has a Residence Permit and a renewed Work Permit or one that is in the process of being renewed.

Spouses or civil partnerships, children under the age of 18 or disabled and economically dependent parents/grandparents over the age of 65 are elgible for regrouping (an application can only be made in the last case if the person entitled to regroup family members has a long stay Residence Permit).

Any person wishing to regroup family members must prove that he/she is employed and/or has sufficient economic means to provide for his/her family's needs and has adequate housing. The Basque Government Citizen Attention Service provides information on housing availability Zuzenean.

The relative applying to be regrouped must request a Residence Visa in the country of origin, under exceptional circumstances, this can be requested in another foreign country. Once regrouped in Spain, a Foreign National Identity Card must be applied for within a period of one month. This permit allows the person to work but not if he/she is a minor under the age of 16.


Family Regrouping is handled in the Foreign Nationals Office in Bilbao.